Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Agent Pet Peeves

These are straight from agents:

Anything cliche such as "it was a dark and stormy night", or when the author addresses the reader "so gentle reader..."

I hate it when someone wakes up from a dream in Chapter One. It makes me feel cheated.

The worst thing that you can do is let that crucial Chapter one be boring.

the 'run-down' list: names, hair color, height, even weight sometimes.

When an author features too much exposition--when they go beyond what is necessary for simply 'setting the scene'.

A rape scene in a Christian novel, esp. in the first chapter.

"The {adjective} {adjective} sun rose in the {adjective} {adjective} sky, shedding its {adjective} light across the {adjective} {adjective} {adjective} land."

1 comment:

  1. A rape scene in chapter one of a Christian novel? I know I shouldn't, but that made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete