Monday, October 4, 2010

What YA Readers Want

This series on Holly Cupala's Blog kicks off with Kristi from The Story Siren(amazing blog).

She says: "I love all genres. I’m still firmly riding the paranormal train, choooo-chooo! It seems like the majority of titles hitting the shelves are paranormal these days, but... I. LOVE. IT. And the genre has especially exploded in Young Adult literature after the popularity of Twilight.

favorite YA novels:


1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
2. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
3. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
4. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
5. Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert

Honestly.... these change periodically, but usually contemporary fiction always tops my list. A book that leaves a lasting emotional impression on me is something that I find hard to forget, and all of the books listed above did that.

A genre/subject that I would love to see more in Young Adult literature is Historical fiction with elements of magic. Two great examples that I can think of off the top of my head are The Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray and the Leland Sisters series by Marissa Doyle. I love both of those series and I would love to have more of those types of novels.

Read more and comment at Holly's blog for prizes throughout October.

No comments:

Post a Comment